Friday, March 30, 2018

Do you have what it takes to be a firefighter?

Have you ever thought you had what it takes to be a firefighter?
As the tempertaure begins to rise, the risk for fires also goes up. Last friday the latest round of recruits graduated and are now part of the Oklahoma City Fire Department. And the training is tough!

Pitch black and smoke, firefighters train everyday in these conditions.
"Yea that's what we're made to do, I love the adrenaline," said Jimmy Taylor, fire recruit.
So I tried it out for myself, but first was I healthy enough? Oxygen levels, blood pressure, heart rate, I checked out. So I got my code summary now it's time to suit up.
Now here's where it gets real, the gear. The coat and pants have three layers, an abrasive, thermal and moisture layer. And then there's the oxygen tank. And all this is supposed to be put on in less than a minute. After you put on the boots, the pants, the jacket, the tank the helmet and you have everything else it's about 60 pounds of weight and after that starts the training.
We walked to the training area and that's where we got started. First up, a two story home filled with smoke.
It takes two to break in, and after some good hits, we're in!
After our hose is charged and we spray the air out, it's go time.
And off we go into the darkness, attacking the fire and then finding our way back out.
Then there was combat training. First take a 40 pound hose up 5 floors. Then pull another 40 pound hose on a rope back up those 5 floors. This was not easy, then it's back down and time for the sledge hammer. This simulates breaking down a door. Then you run the course. Then drag the hose. And this is where I really hit the wall. Then you drag a 165 pound dummy. A good time for doing all of this is three minutes, I didn't quite make it.
Well I just competed the course in 5 minutes I can honestly say I wouldn't want to do it as a career it just makes me more proud that they're protecting us and the city these firefighters do so much for us they're in top physical condition to save lives in situations like this is incredible."
"A lot of them they didn't realize it was this hard, they thought you know we see the fire fighters on tv and it's not chicago fire it's not station 19 it's not back draft this is really life and this is what we do," said Larry Hanson, Battalion Chief of Operations.
"I came in with not a whole lot of responsibliity and I feel like I'm leaving with the whole world's responsibility, you know I felt like I came in as kinda like a kid and I'm leaving as a more of a grown up I would say," said Taylor.
I cannot thank the Oklahoma City Fire Department enough for giving me this opportunity, it was life changing and eye opening.
And they don't stop at fighting fires. They do tons of community service from installing smoke alarms to so much more. In fact 168 firefighters will be in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon doing the half marathon in full bunker gear.

FOX 25's Wayne Stafford participates in firefighter training March 29 in Oklahoma City. (KOKH)

No comments:

Post a Comment